Friday, January 19, 2024

Review: A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor

A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor by Hank Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think I enjoyed this book more than the first one. The story was fun, smart and there were some great a-ha moments. 

Having said that, some things irked me. (SPOILERS AHEAD PROBABLY). First all, the plethora of "Good times books" seemed a tad Deus ex machina-like. To have 1 or 2 people receive it seemed fine, but when the number started increasing exponentially it seemed gratuitous. In fact, a book just seemed really circuitous. Why not just communicate with them? And how Carl's brother was controlling friggin everything at the end (how did Carl not think of this? Even I was thinking Peter or some ally of his might be controlling it). 

Also, the random limitations of power that Carl and his brother had seemed arbitrary. 

Then again, these are always my issues with sci-fi novels. The rules can be made up and they feel made up to me. So Sci-fi aficionados might not feel that at all. 

Some other points that irked me: 
The finance people are unquestionably evil. As per. 
What happened to "Fish"? Did I miss that? 
Robin seemed sort of dismissed at the end.
How is Carl adding his own chapters if he's dead in the end?


Ok, now this is just a list of faults, but I think I'm listing them mainly because I really enjoyed the rest, and these may just be points I didn't really get (I seriously read one sci-fi book every few years). 

4.5 stars. 

View all my reviews

No comments: