Sunday, January 07, 2024

Review: Ariel

Ariel Ariel by José Enrique Rodó
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a very interesting book to get into blind. I had this bookmarked as a book to read if I wanted to check out some Uruguayan literature, but I didn't remember anything else about it. When it started talking about the teacher giving a farewell speech to his students, I expected the speech to end quickly and the rest of the story to get started. 

Regardless, I found his philosophy very interesting, albeit faulty in several ways. Maybe they just don't stand the test of time. Still, it's interesting when he mentions the difference art and 'utilitarianism', counting Latin America among the lovers of art, and the Anglo saxons among the more utilitarian. I couldn't help think of Oscar Wilde's similar argument re: art and utility. Except, ironically, Wilde's version was much more artistic and entertaining. 

Probably 3.5 stars. I'm still quite glad I read it. 

View all my reviews

No comments: