Sunday, January 07, 2024

Review: Cursed Bunny

Cursed Bunny Cursed Bunny by Bora Chung
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

An excellent collection of short stories. Most of them are a tad disturbing, in one way or another, but poignant and well developed. I didn't find any weak stories in this collection, which is rare for me, especially when the stories are sci-fi/fantastical in nature. 

Some notes about each story:

Head: This surprised me. Possibly because it was the first story. A woman sees a talking 'head' in the toilet. This sets the premise of the story. 
Embodiment: I enjoyed this. A woman takes some drugs and becomes pregnant so she needs to find a husband quickly. Like 'Head', however, I can't say I enjoyed the ending.
Cursed Bunny: I thoroughly enjoyed this. About a man who creates cursed objects.
Frozen Finger: This story was a bit freaky, but I really liked how it came together at the end. A woman in trapped in a sinking car, and can't see. She is able to follow her friend's voice in order to leave, then...
Snare: This was disturbing, about a man who traps a fox in a snare that bleeds gold.
Goodbye My Love: About a robot companion. Probably the most sci-fi of the stories
Scars: This was almost Zelda-like fantastical. A boy being tortured by a monster in a cave, and his subsequent adventures.
Home Sweet Home: This was probably my favorite. A woman saves up her money to buy a building, but her husband brings her into debt. Luckily the child entertains her. 
Ruler of the Winds and Sands. Once again this is fantastical. Almost like a legend or fable.
Reunion: The narrator is studying in Poland and meets a man, but it's a ghost story too. 

View all my reviews

No comments: