Monday, May 15, 2023

Review: Attrib. and other stories

Attrib. and other stories Attrib. and other stories by Eley Williams
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

This is a DNF so I won't give it a rating. 

The fact is, while the prose was beautiful, almost poetry, the lack of anything happening in the stories sort of puts me off. Rather than stories of occurrences, these seem to be stories of a state of mind and inner thoughts during a particular point in time. 

I should emphasize, the word-mastery and writing in general can be beautiful here (I'll share some of my favorite ones here below), but I probably need to be in a different state of mind to appreciate it. We'll see. I may revisit this. 

"the world's yours for the mistaking" by a character suffering from aphasia. 

"All that I am, you have made italic"

"There was an imbalance to the scene at the shoreline generally, as if a pair of parentheses had been left unclosed. 

"What’s a sentence, really, if not time spent alone?"

View all my reviews

No comments: