Monday, May 29, 2023

Review: The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000

The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 by Chris Wickham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I must admit at first this book seemed like it would out-dry academic textbooks on the period. It reminded of the saying "history is just one damn fact after another". 

But, gradually, the book drew me in, and then threw me for a loop. It not only covered Western Europe, but also the Eastern (Byzantine) empire, as well as the Abbasid Caliphates taking us straight through modern day Iraq/Iran/Syria. 

All in all it ended up being a quite enjoyable journey through various different regions from the year 400 to 1,000. 

View all my reviews

No comments: