Monday, June 05, 2023

Review: Aborigines of South Taiwan in the 1880s 1880

Aborigines of South Taiwan in the 1880s 1880 Aborigines of South Taiwan in the 1880s 1880 by George Taylor
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The title makes this seem rather esoteric and random, but this is actually a pretty important collection of writings. 

During the Qing dynasty there was a policy of not dealing with the indigenous tribes in Taiwan, so most people avoided them, except the Hakkas. 

Because of this, we don't really have any writings, from an anthropological point of view, of any indigenous tribes before this period. 

When the Japanese invaded Taiwan, they conducted extensive studies, but times had already changed by then (as can be seen in this book), and the Japanese government itself forbade many of their customs. 


So I'm very glad this exists. I also appreciate the Chinese characters next to the proper names when needed. 

The one frustrating point is that almost none of the names (of tribes and places) coincide with places we know today. I wish there had been more notes in this regard. 

Of course, I know Takao is Kaohsiung, and Taiwan-foo is Tainan, but many other names were a mystery. 
Of course Paiwan still use the same name. 
Aimias were the Amis
I presume Botel Tobago is Orchid Island
Pepohoans are the plains indigenous people
I'm guessing the Tipun are the Puyuma. 
Apparently Pilam is Taidong?


Ones I couldn't figure out:
Koaluts (the ones that killed the foreigners in the Rover incident. I'm assuming they were Paiwan)
Diaromaks (did they really kill their young for feasts??)
Limwans
Subongs (a division of Paiwan?)
Caviangans


I'd love to know more about Tokitoki and Bunkiet!


Some interesting notes:
Sneezes were considered very bad omens, and if you heard one you raced back home. 
The Paiwan never ate poultry. 
The "witch" wouldn't remove the white person's hat, since she knew it was important for him to keep it on (times have changed). 


View all my reviews

No comments: