Friday, May 05, 2023

Review: The Journal of Socho

The Journal of Socho The Journal of Socho by H. Mack Horton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What a pleasure to sit back and read Socho's musings and poems as a way to unwind. I do wish he had included more detail about his travel rather than travails, but I enjoyed the overall feel of the book.

Interestingly, I had bookmarked several of his poems and hokkus, but upon re-reading them I can't say they did much for me, until I re-read the circumstances under which they were written. They really reflect what he had been going through, and his feelings at the time.

I also found myself reading more of the notes, which comprise about 50% of the book, than I usually do.

If you don't expect too much from this book other than a pleasurable read from one of history's greatest linked-verse poets, then it won't disappoint.

View all my reviews

No comments: