Thursday, February 29, 2024

Review: The First Horseman

The First Horseman The First Horseman by John Case
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was almost more interesting as a period piece than a contemporary novel. Considering it was written well before COVID, it is very interesting to see what an author would write about the Spanish flu and a new pandemic before all the politics came in (not once did the author assume people would be anti-mask). 

Having said that, I found quite a few issues with it. First of all, I know it was the 90s, but how naive can people be? If I’m a journalist investigating a cult that is suspected of kidnapping and killing people, and I spot some lady breaking into my car and quickly going away, and then find a slimy substance on the steering wheel, I’d probably be a tad suspicious. Likewise, if I wanted to subvert this whole conspiracy I’d probably try to formulate a plan, or something, rather than waltz into their headquarters on spec and just take it from there. It’s a miracle he survived any past assignments, let alone this book. 

Also, did people really not know what DPRK, FEMA and WMD stood for back then? I mean, I guess neither had been in the news much yet. 

Regardless, the novel was fast-paced, despite being a tad unbelievable and having cardboard cutout characters. I also liked that it took place in DC during the late 90s, since that’s where I was during that time (I could’ve been one of those drunk AU students he drove by). The author could’ve skipped the romantic interest since it seemed like an obligatory afterthought. 

2.5 stars


View all my reviews

No comments: