Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Some lessons from Skiing for the first time after 30 years

I recently went skiing for the first time in over 30 years (the last time was January 1994). In case anyone wants to know what it feels like:

⛷️ Muscle memory works. At first I was afraid I wouldn’t even be able to snow plow, but by the end of a couple runs I could turn with no issue. By the end of the second day I think I was pretty much at the level I left off. I’m sure a lot of this was due to:

⛷️ Very different skis. They are much shorter and more symmetrical than they used to be. So they felt much more manageable than I expected, but still very stable.

⛷️ Helmets are in! Pretty much 100% of the people had helmets. It just seemed accepted now. Teenager me would probably have made fun of this, but 40-something-year-old me cares about my noggin’, so I was glad.

⛷️ Restaurants on the slopes are still my fave. The meal always feels earned.


No comments: