Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Review: Voices from the Beautiful Island

Voices from the Beautiful Island Voices from the Beautiful Island by Chiu, Tzuhsiu Beryl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A nice collection of bilingual poetry and stories from various authors, with the Chinese and English side by side. My favorites were "Spring rain" (春雨), by Cheng, ching-wen, and "Soul Palanquin" (魂轎), By Tonfang Po.

Apparently the version of Spring Rain is slightly altered here, at least the English translation is. I also noticed there is a story by Husluman Vava, which was featured in The anthology of Taiwan indigenous literature, and this was different as well. I'm not sure why in either case.

Still, a good mix, also with an indigenous story and an ode to the military compounds that many mainland Chinese grew up in when they came here.



View all my reviews

No comments: