Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Review: Napoleon: The Man behind the Myth

Napoleon: The Man behind the Myth Napoleon: The Man behind the Myth by Adam Zamoyski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was written the way I believe a biography should be written. The initial focus is on Napoleon's childhood and formative years, rather than later battles per se (although there is plenty of those as well). I like this because it give much more insight into why and how Napoleon became the man he was. I wish more biographies followed this pattern. 

Some of my notes:
Apparently after the reign of terror in Paris they had parties and balls where you could only attend if a relative of course had died at the guillotine, and they would wear red ribbons around their necks. Talk about gallows humor...

Amusing to think Napoleon was really bad at Chess, considering he was so good at real life strategic warfare. 

Napoleon's favorite author was Ossian, and he considered Homer's poems much weaker in comparison. 

View all my reviews

No comments: