Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Review: As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan

As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan by Lady Sarashina
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My second reading of one of my favorite books. I'm still not sure why I enjoy it so much, except it is enthralling it is 'everydayness' and to think that all those actions really did occur. 

As per the introduction, at the very same time Lady Sarashina was accompanying the empress to the imperial palace, and probably while she was visiting the sacred mirror room, half a world away St. Edward the Confessor was probably getting ready for his coronation to be held later that day. 

Regardless, I recommend reading the diary first, then going back to the introduction later. Read it as time travel, accompanying her through random points her in life. 


Some notes I took while reading:
Mt. Fuji still had an active flame!!
I'm amazed she could leave the imperial palace after her first night in service there just because she didn't want to work there anymore. I guess they weren't very strict about matters like that. 


View all my reviews

No comments: