Thursday, March 26, 2020

Review: Anselmo d'Aosta: La vicenda umana di un grande monaco del medioevo

Anselmo d'Aosta: La vicenda umana di un grande monaco del medioevo Anselmo d'Aosta: La vicenda umana di un grande monaco del medioevo by Enzo Marigliani
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think I bought this book over 10 years ago (at Diffusione del Libro, in Lido di Camaiore), and for many of those years I had been wondering why I bought it. So I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and read it, to find out once and for all if the purchase had been worth it.

Well, it turns out it was. Anselmo d'Aosta (known as Anselm of Canterbury in English) was a very interesting person, personally called to England by William the Conqueror to be Archbishop of Canterbury, and a precursor to many other more famous religious thinkers (Abelard, Aquinas, among others). There was also plenty of drama in his life, despite the fact that all he wished to do was to retire to a monastic lifestyle.

I found myself underlining several passages discussing his philosophy on monotheism, how to know God exists, etc.

A good quote concerning teaching younger pupils (translated) “A youth is like a piece of wax. If too hard or too soft, the impression of the seal will not be clear." (p.44)

View all my reviews

No comments: