Sunday, December 15, 2019

Review: The Square

The Square The Square by In-hun Choi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Apparently this is considered a classic in Korean literature, and I am sure I don't appreciate it fully for the time and place in which it was written (I know that it was written shortly after books like it were even allowed to be printed). There is probably also quite a bit of symbolism that is over my head.

It covers a man moving from South Korea to North Korea and back South (and then to a "Neutral country"), starting before the war and ending after it, although there is pretty much nothing about the war itself.

The juxtaposition between the two countries was probably one of the first that was ever made in literature.

I did, however, find the protagonist pretty annoying at times. I guess it was due to principle, but he seemed rather spoiled, naive and too idealistic at times. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not.

The ending was really beautiful in its own way.

View all my reviews

No comments: