Thursday, December 12, 2019

Review: The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse

The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse by Pierre Abélard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Someone needs to make a movie based on these two. 2 extremely intelligent people falling in love. Taking place in the middle ages in Paris and Northern France. They must hide, escape, have a son while on the run, and then finally return and get married. And that's when the trouble starts, and the husband gets castrated and persecuted and the couple is separated forever, relying on these letters to communicate from thenceforth.

Having said that, Abelard does come across as pretty annoying and condescending in these. I don't doubt his intelligence, but neither does he. I did enjoy the arguments as to why women are stronger than men in the Bible (starting around p. 118).

I wish more were written about the final group of letters. If they really were written by Abelard and Heloise it would really add quite a bit, since the tone and subject matter is so different from the other correspondence.

I also wish I knew what happened to Astrolabe.

4.5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments: