Friday, March 22, 2024

Review: The Invisibility Cloak

The Invisibility Cloak The Invisibility Cloak by Ge Fei
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

An excellent book. I confess I wasn't sure about the significance of the "Invisibility cloak". It is mentioned, almost in passing, that a man (who had since died) was said to have an invisibility cloak so people couldn't see him, although the narrator said he saw him several times, so that wasn't true. 

But then, my favorite line from the novel was:
"the best attributes of anyone or anything usually reside on the surface, which is where, in fact, all of us live out our lives. Everyone has an inner life, but it’s best if we leave it alone. For as soon as you poke a hole through that paper window, most of what’s inside simply won’t hold up to scrutiny."

And I realized this had a lot to do with the invisibility cloak. Another reviewer mentioned that the speakers may pass this cloak on to its owners, which sort of fits well, since the narrator got the speakers from the deceased man. 

I started racking my brain trying to decipher the connection, but then I remembered another quote by the narrator:
"Do you mind if I contribute my thoughts to this one? If you could just stop nitpicking and dissecting every little thing, if you could learn to keep one eye closed and one eye open, and quit worrying about everything and everybody, you might discover that life is actually pretty fucking beautiful. Am I right?"


5 stars



View all my reviews

No comments: