Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Review: Heaven

Heaven Heaven by Mieko Kawakami
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm taking 2 stars off because of the ending, but adding one back on because the translation was excellent (there is even some wordplay which works perfectly in English. I'm not sure how it was in Japanese). Kudos to both translators. 

None of the reviews seem too bothered by this, but the ending seemed unnatural, disrupting to the flow of the book, and the way it happened didn't solve anything. Obviously, by this I mean (SPOILERS AHEAD) the fact that Kojima is out of the picture all of a sudden. The narrator just says he never sees her again. No explanation as to why he wouldn't, how come he's not even curious, nor how she faired after this seemingly cathartic ordeal. 

In fact, thinking about it, I'm taking removing the star once more. 


2 stars. 




https://4201mass.blogspot.com/

View all my reviews

No comments: