Saturday, September 23, 2023

Review: The WEIRDest People in the World: How the West Became Psychologically Peculiar and Particularly Prosperous

The WEIRDest People in the World: How the West Became Psychologically Peculiar and Particularly Prosperous The WEIRDest People in the World: How the West Became Psychologically Peculiar and Particularly Prosperous by Joseph Henrich
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very interesting premise and refreshing point of view. How do studies of economics, anthropology, psychology, culture, etc. differ if we consider "Western" points of view to be an extreme, not shared by most of the world? This book (quite convincingly) argues that this is the case. I don't know enough to confirm or refute his main thesis, but I did find many of his experiments very interesting, especially stuff like the Ultimatum game with indigenous tribes in South America. I find the whole "WEIRD" nomenclature a bit click-baity, but there you go. 

View all my reviews

No comments: