Monday, February 13, 2023

Review: Troy

Troy Troy by Stephen Fry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Every time I read another book about Troy or the Illiad I'm always struck by how Diomedes got a raw deal. He features throughout the tale, is one of the most fierce warriors, is sent with Odysseus on two other trips, survives until the end with honor, and yet he's never remembered. 

It's probably because he doesn't have a schtick, like Odysseus's craftiness, Helen's looks, or Achilles's heel. 

Basically, his lack of an Achilles heel is his Achilles heel. 

Anyway, having gotten that off my chest, this book was truly excellent. And the Audiobook is read by Stephen Fry, so it's definitely worth the listen. It brings the story and characters alive, and shows how they are intertwined in ways you don't get from just reading the Illiad and Odyssey. 

View all my reviews

No comments: