Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Review: Blue Highways

Blue Highways Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I waited until I was in the US to read this, and I'm glad I did. It's an excellent re-introduction to life in the US off the beaten track.

It was also great to follow his travels on Google Maps, from Shelbyville, KY, to Selma, AL, to Wanchese, NC (oftentimes using Streetview to see what has changed). 

Reading about places like Noname, TN, and Frenchman, NV was very interesting. As were so many of the stories and people he encountered. And stories like how Othello, NJ got its name. 


For some reason I also made note of some of the Books he mentioned when talking to people: 
Through Missouri on a mule (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8654504-through-missouri-on-a-mule)
The town that died laughing (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9862753-the-town-that-died-laughing)
Maryland's Right, Tight Isle (not on GR, but about Smith Island)

I really liked his style of writing, which made it a pleasure to read through this book. 

I thought it would be interesting to revisit some of the places he went to, and figured someone must have done so already. And sure enough, I found this: http://www.bluehighwaysrevisited.net/About-Us.html
Apparently they also wrote a book, with side by side photos. Anyway, not sure if I'll check it out, but interesting nonetheless. 

Also, just for my notes, here is his Calendar rating for finding places to get “honest food at just prices.”  

   No calendar: Same as an interstate pit stop.
   One calendar: Preprocessed food assembled in New Jersey
   Two calendars: Only if fish trophies present.
   Three calendars: Can't miss on the farm-boy breakfasts.
   Four calendars: Try the ho-made pie too.
   Five calendars: Keep it under your hat, or they'll franchise. 


View all my reviews

No comments: