Thursday, August 04, 2022

Review: Pilon's Pig

Pilon's Pig Pilon's Pig by Yi Mun-Yol
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Everytime I read Yi Mun-Yol I'm reminded of why I like his books so much. This short story was excellent, discussing violence, and the moral dilemma of violence, both with the aggressor as well as with how the victims of aggression often are no better. 

It was interesting to read, in the afterword, how Yi Mun-yol is seen as too conservative in Korea. This story certainly didn't convey that at all (in fact, if anything it seemed quite the opposite), and frankly, knowing how his father defected from South Korea to North Korea, one can see how he might be a bit more right-leaning. 

Regardless, the book stands on its own and is a great short read. 

View all my reviews

No comments: