Monday, August 08, 2022

Review: Danny

Danny Danny by Yun I-Hyeong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I confess I wasn't really able to follow this story. Having said that, I really enjoyed it for various reasons. 

The commentary on grandmothers taking care of their grandchildren was poignant, very true, and as far as I know hasn't been tackled anywhere else (and I've frankly never seen it mentioned anywhere, despite witnessing it more than once). I'm really glad this book took that theme on. 

I also liked the idea of a cyborg helping out with taking care of children in the not too distant future, after a group of teachers snap. 

(SPOILER BELOW, PROBABLY):
I feel like I was missing something, however, since I never really understood why the cyborg was arrested. 
(END POSSIBLE SPOILER)

I saw some commenters had complained about the translation. I noticed some issues too (words missing here and there, or odd sentence structure), but actually I think it was more of an issue with the editor, whoever it was. I've read at least one other book translated by this same person, which had no issues. 

4 stars, mainly for discussing the grandmother child-rearing issue. 

View all my reviews

No comments: