Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Review: Sweet Potato: Collected Short Stories

Sweet Potato: Collected Short Stories Sweet Potato: Collected Short Stories by Kim Tongin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I feel a bit embarrassed to say this, but this book just never really clicked for me. Many of the stories blend in together and I can't say I enjoyed most of them. In fact, I gave up and came back to this book more than once. 

Regardless, I guess my favorite stories were probably Fire Sonata and Sweet Potato. 

I feel guilty because I know Kim Tongjin is considered a very important author in early modern Korean literature - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Dong-in . Maybe much of it was just over my head, or I don't understand the symbolism or background behind what he was writing. 

Apparently the story "Traitor" is about Yi Kwang-su? If so that is quite interesting. 

View all my reviews

No comments: