Sunday, March 20, 2022

Review: The Everyday Parenting Toolkit: The Kazdin Method for Easy, Step-by-Step, Lasting Change for You and Your Child

The Everyday Parenting Toolkit: The Kazdin Method for Easy, Step-by-Step, Lasting Change for You and Your Child The Everyday Parenting Toolkit: The Kazdin Method for Easy, Step-by-Step, Lasting Change for You and Your Child by Alan E. Kazdin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This seemed to have some great advice, although I realized I should probably be reading this along with my wife, to make sure we both are applying the same concepts at the same time. So until that happens, here are some notes I made for myself:

- Positive opposites
Specify what the correct action is ahead of time (along with punishment for not doing it)
People are quick to punish for bad behavior, but what about praising the opposite? (Good job brushing your teeth! You spoke without interrupting us, great job!, etc.). This is more likely to stop the bad behavior than punishment, which the child just gets used to over time.
ABCs = antecedents, behavior, and consequences

View all my reviews

No comments: