Saturday, December 11, 2021

Review: The Introvert’s Edge to Networking: Work the Room. Leverage Social Media. Develop Powerful Connections

The Introvert’s Edge to Networking: Work the Room. Leverage Social Media. Develop Powerful Connections The Introvert’s Edge to Networking: Work the Room. Leverage Social Media. Develop Powerful Connections by Matthew Owen Pollard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was excited to read this book since I am very much an introvert, although I completely understand how essential networking is in business. 

I must say a couple of things seemed odd in this book. First of all, the author keeps saying he's an introvert, but then goes on to have certain stories that don't really square up. For example, as a younger kid in Australia, he knew some owner of a hot club (I can't remember the exact position), so he could get in without waiting in line, and could even bring his mates in. Obviously this is cool, but hardly the life of an introvert. 

More importantly, I have to say that pretty much every time I've been to a networking event, the people there from large companies are usually NEVER there to network, but to relax with some friends and drink some beers. In fact, at my last event, I was asking some people which chamber I should join, and they literally advised me not to join this and that chamber because all the networking events are so 'serious' and 'everyone is networking'. Obviously this isn't true for entrepreneur events, but still. 

Apparently this isn't the case for him, since he talks about networking with some IBM exec at some event and how it got him some supersales. 

One other bone of contention was a detail. He said if you go to an event and 2 people are in a conversation then you shouldn't approach them because you'll be interrupting. His reasoning is anecdotal (he was chatting with the aforementioned IBM exec closing a deal). This, however, goes against his own advice NOT to sell at the event itself. And in fact, I've found often the opposite to be true. If it is a networking event (especially for entrepreneurs), then 2 people talking to each other either A) know each other already, in which case they know they should be networking even though they aren't, so someone who approaches them saves them the trouble, Or B) don't know each other, in which case they're probably having an awkward 1st time conversation, and welcome a newcomer, or even if they are having a good conversation, they can always end it on a high note (as the author recommends doing) and decide to meet up again over coffee one day, so the 3rd person will be a welcome addition. 

Anyway, all of this makes it seem like I didn't like the book. I actually found it very useful, which I guess is why these other points rankled. I plan on using his information, especially preparing before the meetings, and the follow-up after the meetings (Probably not so much during the meetings, for the reasons mentioned above). 


View all my reviews

No comments: