Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Review: The Analects

The Analects The Analects by Confucius
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So I bought this commentary book on Mencius, and figured before reading that I should read Mencius, and then I figured before reading Mencius I should read Confucius, so here we are. 

This is actually a re-read, but I figured it was needed. And it was an interesting one. I found some odd passages, like:

"Confucius would rather be criticized for partiality than appear to be openly critical of the Duke" (note to Book VII, 31)
I guess this falls under respecting superiors, although it comes across like he's being opportunist and has a double standard


"It is a shameful matter to be poor and humble when the Way prevails in the state" (Book VIII, 13)
eh?


 Also I'm not sure if one should put the State above all, or the family above the state (see Book XIII, 18)


But also some good ones I marked down for reference, like:
"Only when the cold season comes is the point brought home that the pine and the cypress are the last to lose their leaves" (Book IX, 28)
I really like this one!


To be frank it would have also helped to use the Chinese characters for some of the terms. I understand most readers probably wouldn't understand (myself included), but I'm guessing those same readers won't know what the Chün shih chapter of the Shu Ching is, and having the characters, rather than this Wade-Giles mishmash would make it easier to follow-up

View all my reviews

No comments: