Monday, July 12, 2021

Review: Minding the Store: A Big Story about a Small Business

Minding the Store: A Big Story about a Small Business Minding the Store: A Big Story about a Small Business by Julie Gaines
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think I discovered a (very niche) genre that I really like: autobiographical graphic novels. After having read this and 'Uncomfortably Happy', by Hong Yeon-sik, I think there's something I really enjoy about them. They aren't autobiographies by any means (they seem to deal with just a certain period, and are obviously non-exhaustive and just give a broad overview), but they help to get a quick feel for what the author experienced, and the graphics help because I don't overlay my own imagery, but see what the author saw and remembers. I'm not sure if that explanation made sense, but suffice it to say that I enjoyed this book a great deal and I look forward to reading more in this niche genre, if I can find any. 

I may even visit Fishs Eddy the next time I'm in New York, even though I confess it's not my style of store. 


View all my reviews

No comments: