Thursday, April 08, 2021

Review: American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America

American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the history here but I couldn't help disagreeing with many of the conclusions. They probably held water until around 50 years ago, but now I'm not so sure. As an example, I've lived in DC, Atlanta, Portland and Charlotte and I've found that, while these cities are all different and have their own flavors, the people there seemed to have more in common with each other than with people who might live just 30 miles away from their own city. I think the divide has changed to urban/suburban/rural now, or some variation thereof. He also argues that people naturally gravitate toward areas that suit them most, but I've moved everywhere mainly due to jobs or school. The one exception is probably Portland, but I really don't think that makes me more left-coaster. In fact, quite the opposite. 

He also says that much of the antagonism between Americans and Mexicans now (in the El Norte section) dates back to England's wars with Spain. But then how come modern England and Spain don't have the same animosity? 

Also some of his naming seemed odd. The fact that the "Yankee" region would not include New York (New Netherlands) seems rather weird. I agree with the fact, but maybe pick another name. 

However, as mentioned, the history is great. 
Interesting that John Adams basically abolished free speech "for the greater good". There was a difference between 'Freedom' and 'Liberty' back then, wherein one said everyone was free (more in the south and Appalachia, while the other said freedom was important for the community (more in the Yankee region). 

I would love an update for the post-Trump years. 

View all my reviews

No comments: