Thursday, March 11, 2021

Review: The Classical Music Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained

The Classical Music Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained The Classical Music Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained by Katie Derham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I cannot for the life of me fathom why they would release an audiobook about classical music without any music. I understand this was originally a print book, but if they went through the trouble of professionally narrating it, and as far as I can tell pretty much every piece of music discussed is in the public domain, I don't understand why they wouldn't add the music. Especially given that there are certain lines like these: 
"The apparently unrelated chords of F, B, D# and G# form the basis for the work's harmonic instability." 
"...landing not merely in a key (E major) unrelated to the first chord (B flat), but a diminished 5th (a semitone less than a 5th) below it, resulting in a tri-tone, an interval in 3 tones"
"each chord is to be appreciated for the sensuality of its sound"

One can only really follow if they know the pieces by heart, or if they can listen to them. Granted, I can go online and find these (and I did for several), but I often cannot, like when I'm driving, etc. I can't help thinking it was just laziness. 

So, aside from this the book was very interesting, although much of it seemed to be over my head. 

Some of my notes:
Jacopo Peri apparently created the first opera (Dafne, and the first that still exists, Euripide). He worked for the De Medici family, which means the De Medici brought us the first opera, as well as, you know, the renaissance. 

Henry Purcell probably would have started opera in England had he not died early. In the end it was the german Handel (who performed for King George on a boat in the Thames). 

I want to read more about Stravinsky and the first performance of Le Sacre du printemps
"1912: Igor Stravinsky pastes a cord of a dominant 7th on E flat over a cord of F flat major and causes an outrage"


View all my reviews

No comments: