Thursday, December 17, 2020

Review: Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by H.W. Brands
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've decided I prefer biographies that dedicate a large portion to the subject's childhood and formative years. I think most, if not all, of the decisions and actions taken later on in life, are somehow tied to how the person was raised, and who his/her influences were, etc. 

Unfortunately, this biography didn't seem to dedicate enough time to FDR's childhood, in my opinion. We do get a decent idea that he was given everything he could possibly want, and was possibly kept in too sterile an environment as a child (the author infers that the polio that struck him later may have had something to do with this), and was oozing self-confidence. Still, I would have appreciated more. 

Of course, when someone has gone through all that FDR has gone through, there is plenty of material from later on in life, so this book was by no means tedious or boring at any point. 

I had been curious to read it also because Herbert Hoover's biography painted a picture of FDR that was less than flattering; as someone who was more politically motivated than inclined to do what was right. I can't say this biography refuted that. FDR seemed very much to be an "end justifies the means" type of person. Of course, when the "end" is an end to the great depression or world war II, then it is difficult to disagree. 

Eleanor Roosevelt's role also seemed suspiciously vague. She obviously didn't like his affairs, and never really was close to FDR in a personal sense after a certain point, but she achieved a great deal in her own right. This wasn't her biography, so I didn't expect a play-by-play of her activities, but she seemed to come off as rather weak, and I suspect that wasn't really the case. 

View all my reviews

No comments: