Monday, December 07, 2020

Review: I Am a Cat

I Am a Cat I Am a Cat by Natsume Sōseki
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I would have to agree with many other reviewers in that this was a long book to read (aside from the length itself). The paragraphs carried on and on, and many of the nuances in conversation were probably lost on me, since they were apparently meant to satirize life in Japan at the turn of the 20th century. 

However, some sections were definitely humourous, and the point of view of the cat (who refers to himself in the honorific apparently) is an interesting one. 

At times it was difficult to get through, but it provided interesting material and I'm glad I read it. It also seemed to sometimes touch upon a bemoaning of the changing times, and then revert to making fun of people who were lamenting change. 

Interestingly, this book made me wonder if there is a special place for cats in Japanese literature. After having read "The Traveling Cat Chronicles" and a bunch of Murakami novels, I noticed a focus on cats I hadn't seen in the literature of other languages, so I can't help wondering if this book started it all, since it is a classic of Japanese literature. 

View all my reviews

No comments: