Sunday, November 08, 2020

Review: Born To Win: The Ultimate Seminar

Born To Win: The Ultimate Seminar Born To Win: The Ultimate Seminar by Zig Ziglar
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I'm on Chapter 6 (over 5 hours in) and he still hasn't stated anything practical. A very smooth talker who said we shouldn't read horoscopes because they're the work of the devil, and we've had 7 songs so far, by the Zig Ziglar singers (seriously, with titles like "The magic of believing"). A lot of talk like "You're gonna get a lot out of this course, but this course will also get a lot out of you", and "sitting on an acorn is a mighty slow way to get on top of an acorn tree". 

Right at the beginning he stated that we need to help others and we'll start reaping rewards. A tad simplistic, but good advice nonetheless. Since then, however, there hasn't been anything I can follow up on. I can get over the references to how great God and country are if he gives me something to work with. 

To be fair, he is probably the best speaker I have ever heard. 

But seriously, I'm over 5 hours in. Is he going to start dispensing any actionable advice? I know there is a worksheet, so something concrete should be coming up at some point. 

If it weren't for his reputation and the glowing reviews on Goodreads, I would be giving up on this. 



**Update**
I think I'm done. He just told an 'anecdote' about a lady who was being beaten by her husband regularly, and one day told him that next time he beat her she would take photos of the bruises and mail them to the newspapers and all his friends, and that he was "cured of his sickness just like that". And then another story about another man who beat his wife, so her friends beat him up and so he stopped his beating. Really not sure what the point is (I think he is trying to be poignant about wife-beating not being a 'disease' for some reason), but regardless, I think I'm done.


No star review because I didn't finish it. 

View all my reviews

No comments: