Thursday, July 16, 2020

Review: Soul Mountain

Soul Mountain Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Reading this chapter is optional, but as you've read it you've read it. "

I'm still not sure what this book was about, and it is a long book to read when not knowing what it's about. Still, I enjoyed most of it. It is full of stories, folk tales, legends, etc. from places (mostly mountainous and rural) around China.

The chapters are divided, with one being in the first person, the next being in the second person, alternating. At some point they switch too, although it caught me off guard.

I enjoyed most of these stories and meanderings. I like to think that they are true stories that were heard, either by the author himself, or by others known to him, around China, depicting a way of life that vanished after the Communist party came into power.


View all my reviews

No comments: