Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Review: The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro The Girl Who Reads on the Métro by Christine Féret-Fleury
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I must admit that the reason I didn't enjoy this book very much might be party due to my biases. I get excited when I read a book about books, since I tend to like books. However, I usually expect it to be overly erudite and somewhat book-snobbish. And usually it is. After all, if it is about books it will tend to name-drop plenty of them.

Now, this book did plenty of name dropping, but the story itself just seemed to have no substance.

There were way too many deus ex machina moments, and at times it seemed so overly simplified as to be a children's book (every single person she sees in the metro is tied to the random library she randomly decides to walk into?).

It was much too rooted in reality to be magical realism, but much too random and unconvincing to be realistic, and none of it really convinced me.


2.5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments: