Saturday, July 04, 2020

Review: The Birth of Britain

The Birth of Britain The Birth of Britain by Winston S. Churchill
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Like most people, I imagine, my first impression of this book was "How did he find the time?" (Answer: he wrote it over the course of 20 years), and when I read that he won the Nobel Prize in Literature, I was even more impressed. Quality as well as Quantity!

Well this book has plenty of both. Although at times I felt like I was plodding through an endless number of Henrys, Richards, Yorks (people, the city, the faction), etc., especially during the War of the Roses, this book kept me interested and I can confidently say I learned a great deal (except maybe about the War of the Roses. I'm still confused about that). I found the early history to be the most fascinating, clear through the Norman conquest.

In other words, aside from having been written by a famous person, and even though it is currently over 60 years old, this book really holds its own.


4.5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments: