Sunday, June 21, 2020

Review: The Wind That Lays Waste

The Wind That Lays Waste The Wind That Lays Waste by Selva Almada
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can't really say I enjoyed this all that much.

I loved the setting, the general ambience and the feel of the place. The characters seemed interesting, with strong backstories leading up to this point in their lives. The point where they meet and interact also seems promising. The issue, however, is that (despite the big storm, which seemed like extremely heavy-handed symbolism of 'change to come') none of this really seemed to lead anywhere.

I was left with more questions than answers. How will things proceed? Why did the preacher leave his wife in the way he did? and some others.

Ultimately, I wish it were a longer novel that it had let us get to know these characters more and for a longer time.



View all my reviews

No comments: