Sunday, June 21, 2020

Review: Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad

Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad by Austin Kleon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think the author and I started off on the wrong foot. His first way to stay creative was "Everyday is Groundhog Day", where he talked about how one day is just like the next, and he says it's because the creative life is not linear, but circular, and we "keep coming back to a new starting point". Well, while reading this I've been having the precise opposite feeling. Time seems to be flying by and I don't get enough time to work on what I'd like to. Far from each day being a repetition of the last, I find myself working on a new project and then amazed at how many days have passed, wishing I had more time to complete what I'd like to complete.

Regardless, once I shook that off, I found the other points quite useful, although I don't think there was anything groundbreaking. It was more of a repetition of things I had already come across.

I especially liked "Forget the noun, do the verb"

I found it amusing how anti-Marie Kondo he seems, and, although I found her a tad odd, I think I agree with her more than him (he says "Keep your tools tidy and your materials messy", but I'd rather keep it all tidy otherwise I find my brain is in chaos).

View all my reviews

No comments: