Saturday, May 23, 2020

Review: Music as a Mirror of History

Music as a Mirror of History Music as a Mirror of History by Robert Greenberg
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I learned a lot from this course. On the other hand it wasn't what I purchased it for. This was a random history lesson, mostly about Europe, with more of a concentration on Russia. Some music was thrown in here and there.

I'm not sure how I feel about a musicologist teaching me history. I'm sure he didn't make any facts up or anything, but who knows what biases he may have.

Regardless, maybe I'm too much of a newbie to music, but I was hoping for more of the basics. Maybe concentrating on the top 5 or 10 main composers and discussing how their works were a reflection of their life and times, or something along those lines.

Mainly, however, I was hoping I'd be able to hear more music. For every 40 minutes of talk there will be one or two short excerpts of a minute or two each.

View all my reviews

No comments: