Monday, April 13, 2020

Review: The Girl Who Is Getting Married

The Girl Who Is Getting Married The Girl Who Is Getting Married by Aoko Matsuda
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had no idea what to make of this story. The rhythm is odd, yet strangely comforting, with the repetition of "the girl who is getting married" (she is never given a name, nor even referred to as 'she' or 'her').

Unlike normal stories, however, the more that is told of this story the more it falls apart. By the end I didn't know if I was imagining things or not. I had to go back and make sure I had understood other sections correctly.

This is also a steady path into the uncomfortable (for lack of a better word); from an innocuous "There was not the slightest tension in the smile of the girl who is getting married", to a girl who is getting married who is wearing a flu-mask, surprised to see the narrator, trying to communicate by mouthing something with her lips which are obscured.

This is a very short read, but very involving. I loved it.

View all my reviews

No comments: