Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Review: Killing Commendatore

Killing Commendatore Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This started off slowly for me, but then turned into another unforgettable Murakami book. I enjoyed the symbolism more than most actually. Including the juxtaposition between the protagonist and Menshiki.

For some reason I also really liked the whole incident on the coast, with the odd girl and the man with the white Subaru.

Anyway, some Murakami-isms (for your Murakami bingo): dried up well (not really a well this time), old jazz records, weird sex, faceless villain (?), odd teenager, secret passageway, unusual name, cooking, historical flashback.

Also, how is Hokkaido not part of the Bingo board?

If you enjoyed 1Q84, Wind-up bird chronicle and/or Kafka on the shore, chances are you'll enjoy this one, despite the slow beginning.

View all my reviews

No comments: