Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Principles: Life and Work

Principles: Life and WorkPrinciples: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I wish (hope?) more successful people would do something like this: lay down the principles by which they live their life.

Some gems in there, including finding ways to use disagreement to get the best ideas (if someone convinces you to change your mind it means you learned something, while the other person hasn't improved. Also, if you don't want the other person to feel bad, you might not give them all of your information, and their decision will be sub-par). Also the section about getting news from the media, and the part dealing with asking yourself whether you have the right to have an opinion.

The first part is his life story, which was probably more useful to me than the rest, since it gives his reasoning for many of the principles. I could have done without the neuroscience section.

The second half, Work Principles, should be Workplace Principles. Since I work alone I didn't find much there for me. Still, the first two parts (biography and Life Principles) were worth the price of the book.

Chances are, anyone who enjoys this interview will enjoy the book: https://tim.blog/2017/09/13/ray-dalio/


View all my reviews

No comments: