Storie dimenticate. Per una geografia segreta del Ticino by Carlo SiliniMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a gem of a book. Having grown up in Ticino, I was still completely ignorant about almost every story in this book, and many of them are quite interesting.
From the village being slowly uncovered in Tremona, to the large quarries in Mendrisiotto, to the story of the Ciani brothers, to the witch trials in Val di Blenio, to the "sculpture town" of Ligornetto, to discovering Faido was all posh during the Belle Epoque, to reading about the various plans Italy had to invade Switzerland, and Switzerland had to invade Italy(!), to learning about that weird castle in Torricella, to learning about gay art in the 1930s, to reading more about the Sanitorium in Agra, to the origin of the Jewish cemetery I would always drive by on the highway there in Lugano Sud.
I do wish they had something about the Castle of Trevano. I'm still wondering what that was about and why they demolished it.
But regardless, 5 stars.
https://4201mass.blogspot.com/
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment