Thursday, July 25, 2024

Review: The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi & Arrowroot

The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi & Arrowroot The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi & Arrowroot by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The first story was quite interesting and fun, and I enjoyed the structure (with two different "sources", recreating the history of a notorious man). I think the second story could have been excellent, since the premise turned out to be really interesting. A man is exploring the history of his mother, whom he never met, and in doing so traverses the history and changes of Japan. Unfortunately, I found the narrator's discussion about his own research to drag on and on, and I can't really say it kept me as interested.

Still, I really like Tanizaki's style, which never seemed purely straightforward, with stories that are nuanced and subtle.

https://4201mass.blogspot.com/

View all my reviews

No comments: