Sunday, November 12, 2023

Review: Noi. Racconti a due voci tra Italia e Canton Ticino

Noi. Racconti a due voci tra Italia e Canton Ticino Noi. Racconti a due voci tra Italia e Canton Ticino by Valentina Giuliani
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very interesting collection of essays, by an Italian working in Ticino and a Ticinese reporter on Italy. 

Growing up in Ticino with a mother from Florence, much of what they say hit home with me. I always find the most entertaining part to be the differences in expressions and words (Italians don't say Tipp-ex??). 

It's interesting how they tackle the same issues from different perspectives, both being able to move past the stereotypes and (generally) finding the good in the other side. 

I was curious as to why the Italian wrote in the third person about a fictitious (but presumably more or less autobiographical) character, while the Swiss person wrote essays in the first person. Still, it works quite well. 

View all my reviews

No comments: