Sunday, April 09, 2023

Review: El enigma de la habitación 622

El enigma de la habitación 622 El enigma de la habitación 622 by Joël Dicker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you're looking forward to reading a book by a Swiss author about Geneva (and Verbier), then this is great. However, I'm not sure you can expect much more. 

The story kept jumping around in time, which started confusing me. I did like how the author placed himself writing the book as part of the book (although this sort of confused me as well), and how apparently the tribute to his recently deceased publisher and mentor was for a real person (I figured it had to be, since otherwise it was just the main character droning on and on about how he admired some random publisher who had nothing to do with the story, and in fact broke up the pace considerably). 

However, some of these characters were incredibly one-sided. For example, one of the main stars is "Strikingly handsome", a banking genius who managed, without a background in banking, to rise to the top of the banking world quickly, speaks 10 languages, is super nice, is coveted by the main female character, etc. etc. Later, things do get a bit more complicated, but thanks to the deus-ex-machina way in which things turn out, I can't really say I appreciated it very much. 

I get the feeling the author doesn't have a good idea as to how banking works. Just a thought. 

But, I did stick through it all and wanted to know how it ended (I can't say I was satisfied, but it did keep me entertained). I also liked how we find out many aspects of the book had to do with the author's personal life. 

I'm giving it a generous 3 stars. 

View all my reviews

No comments: