Sunday, March 05, 2023

Review: The Origins of You: How Childhood Shapes Later Life

The Origins of You: How Childhood Shapes Later Life The Origins of You: How Childhood Shapes Later Life by Jay Belsky


I was reading this purely from a practical, personal point of view (I have a 4 year old and we're trying to raise her well). I confess that, although this was created for the layperson, I found myself skipping to the conclusion of the chapter for several of these, since I wasn't all that interested in the nitty gritty of the study methodology (I'm in no position to reject or accept any of their findings, regardless). 

Some of the most interesting takeaways have to do with self-control of the child, and how important this is later in life, and has more on a bearing on their life than raw intelligence. 

The findings on daycare were interesting too (possibly one of the few positives of Covid, then, may be that our daughter didn't have nearly as much daycare as she would have otherwise). While quality of daycare matters somewhat, pure quantity is much more important (broadly put, the more the worse). 

I'm not really in a position to give it a rating, but I found it mildly to just a little useful, and moderately interesting. 

View all my reviews

No comments: