Sunday, February 05, 2023

Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

#books #bookreview

These fantasy books are always a waste of time. The authors can just make up any new law of physics/miracle/world/alien being to suit their needs, which is why the genre never really attracted me. 

So I have no idea why I had this in my wishlist, and then proceeded to buy it, and then decided to read it. Then I stuck with it (over 1,000 pages) for some reason. 

Anyway, I probably still won't admit it to my friends, but I really enjoyed this. I actually opted for the audiobook, which probably helped with all the footnotes. I imagine turning pages every time there was a new footnote would've been a huge pain (the footnotes are pretty intrinsical to the story). 

It is by no means a quick read. But if you feel like diving into a slightly-fantastical Britain (and Europe) during the Napoleonic Wars, then this is probably the book for you. 

View all my reviews

No comments: