Friday, January 13, 2023

Review: The Old Woman with the Knife

The Old Woman with the Knife The Old Woman with the Knife by Gu Byeong-mo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

#books #bookreview

While this was entertaining, I can't say it was my favorite book. I thought the premise was quite interesting (an aging female assassin, and the problems that arise). But I couldn't help feeling something was missing. For example, she didn't want to retire, but was she planning on doing so one day? Obviously someone in that line of work cannot keep performing it into their 80s, but she seemed to have no plan. Maybe she was expecting (hoping?) she would die on the job, but still. 

Secondly, without giving away too much, her ultimate nemesis seems to make quite a few mistakes himself, while only her mistakes seem to cause any attention. Also, there is no real closure (she never finds out who her nemesis really is, although we do). 

Anyway, maybe it just wasn't my style. Still, as I mentioned, it kept me entertained. 

View all my reviews

No comments: