Sunday, November 13, 2022

Review: Play Nice But Win: A Ceo's Journey from Founder to Leader

Play Nice But Win: A Ceo's Journey from Founder to Leader Play Nice But Win: A Ceo's Journey from Founder to Leader by Michael Dell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Reading through this I can't help wondering what he's leaving out. 

While I'll buy that he made 18,000 during a summer working for a local paper (I don't doubt he's a genius at business), the whole spiel about how, due to the freedom of information act, he knew he could get this-or-that information, seems odd. People don't tend to just know about the FOI act, especially a high-schooler back in the 80s with no relatives in the legal profession. But maybe I'm just picking nits. 

Another odd point is when his parents are dead against his taking a leave from school to pursue his business, which is apparently already making 30K a *month* (in the 80s!). I don't know many parents who had been so supportive while he was a child who wouldn't at least entertain the fact that this might be a good path to follow. 

Anyway, otherwise it's interesting to read a general history of Dell. He keeps alternating history with his efforts in taking the company private, which was also quite interesting, mainly because of Carl Icahn's efforts to derail everything. 


View all my reviews

No comments: