Thursday, November 24, 2022

Review: An Appointment with My Brother

An Appointment with My Brother An Appointment with My Brother by Yi Mun-Yol
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another great book by Yi Mun-Yol. Although this is an "imagined" encounter with his North Korean half-brother, it seems autobiographical enough that my theory (completely without basis in anything), is that it actually happened. As he mentions in the book, any such encounter would have been illegal both in South and North Korea. Nowadays it would probably be ok to admit it in the South, but probably not in the North. Anyway, it's much more likely that he imagined it, since I'm sure all these thoughts have been ruminating in his mind all his life, since his father escaped to the North, but still. 

Also, apparently I read an earlier translation, but I think it's ok. The newer translation seems to add context for international readers. 

Regardless, a great book, including a lot of thought on what reunification of the Koreas might entail and the different opinions and parties that would be involved. 

View all my reviews

No comments: